Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Taking the wind out of my 'sales'

Another lesson learned: The wind can create so much havoc for your tent and display that it literally takes the "wind out of your sales" Saturday was my first experience with just how difficult it is for vendors at art sales when there is a high wind. Yes, it affects the numbers attending the sale as well as inventory placement and racks. The Eagan Art Festival was situated in an open field, and there was nothing to block a gale. As afternoon came and the gusts increased, Molly and I stood, hanging on to the tent frame, trying desperately to keep it from flying away. Our neighbor, John, began to secure our tent down with strapping and screw-in-the-ground stakes (besides just being nice, I think this was an effort to keep our stuff from flying into his wonderful wine racks that also held glasses.) Things seemed to hold, but I knew I'd need more strapping. I made a quick trip to Home Depot; however, other vendors had cleaned out the safety gear. As I stood there, trying to think of what to do, another artisan came down the aisle, assessed the situation and said he'd head off to a different store and asked if I wanted him to pick up a supply of the tie-downs. YES, PLEASE. Saved by the vendors. The festival staff called a halt to the show early on Saturday as we all prepared for the wind and a possible overnight storm. Molly and I joined the group that had decided to tear down their tents and bring home the inventory. The artists, for the most part, came away from the weather event unscathed. We had to reset everything on Sunday, but it was a much better day, sale-wise, too. So what's next for Pure Serendipity? We hope to see you at Art at St. Kate's on July 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or a question